The Hutchins School is one of the oldest schools in Australia and its long history has shaped the traditions and values that continue to serve as strong foundations today. We hope you enjoy exploring the School’s rich history in this timeline of key dates.

Following the death of Archdeacon William Hutchins on 4 June 1841, a number of leading citizens established a fund with the aim of founding a school in his memory.

Read more about The Origin of Hutchins.

1840s

The new Hutchins schoolhouse opens at 181 Macquarie Street on .

Hutchins schoolhouse, 1865 (S Clifford).

Hutchins schoolhouse, 1865 (S Clifford)

1850s

1859

Annual gathering for old scholars inaugurated.

McNaughton Scholarship deed, 1863.

McNaughton Scholarship deed, 1863

1870s

Reverend J V Buckland becomes Acting Headmaster following the death of his father in . He would become Headmaster in his own right after being ordained in .

Rev J V Buckland, c1892.

Rev J V Buckland, c1892

1890s

1892

Hutchins School Old Boys’ Association officially founded.

Read more about Lifelong fellowship.

Old Scholars dinner at Highfield Hall with J H Bisdee, 1903.

Old Scholars dinner at Highfield Hall with J H Bisdee, 1903

1893

Prefect system introduced.

Read more about Senior School.

Prefects, 1913 (seated) D Harvey, K Brodribb, E M Dollery, A F Payne (standing) J Charlesworth, L Reynolds.

Prefects, 1913 (seated) D Harvey, K Brodribb, E M Dollery, A F Payne (standing) J Charlesworth, L Reynolds

1896

Golden Jubilee celebrated with a Grand Carnival.

Grand Carnival program, 1896.

Grand Carnival program,

1900s

1900

G G E Wylly and J H Bisdee awarded the Victoria Cross, the first Hutchins Old Boys to receive this honour.

G G E Wylly, c1900.

G G E Wylly, c1900

J H Bisdee, 1900.

J H Bisdee, 1900

1908

Major G A Gurney becomes Headmaster.

Major G A Gurney, 1911.

Major G A Gurney, 1911

1911

Scout Troop established.

Scout training patrol, 1927.

Scout training patrol, 1927

1910s

1912

First meeting of the School’s Board of Management. Read more

C W Butler.

C W Butler

1912

L H Lindon becomes Headmaster.

L H Lindon, 1913.

L H Lindon, 1913

1913

Boarding house opens.

Boarding house, 1914 (Prospectus, 1915).

Boarding house, 1914 (Prospectus, 1915)

1917

Intermediate School opens (later renamed Middle School).

Last class with Rev M Eagle and J Houghton, 1965.

Last class with Rev M Eagle and J Houghton, 1965

1918

C C Thorold becomes Headmaster.

C C Thorold, 1918.

C C Thorold, 1918

1918

House system introduced (Buckland, School and Stephens).

Bethune Shield for House Challenge, 1918.

Bethune Shield for House Challenge, 1918

1918

First performance of the School Song.

School Song original manuscript by J W Bethune, 1916.

School Song original manuscript by J W Bethune, 1916

1919

Junior School building opens at 179 Macquarie Street.

Read more about Junior School.

Junior School opening, 1919.

Junior School opening, 1919

1920s

1929

J R O Harris becomes Headmaster.

J R O Harris, 1935.

J R O Harris, 1935

1929

The Hutchins School Parents’ Association established.

Read more about Lifelong fellowship.

Parents’ Association President, P Stops cutting the 50th anniversary cake, 1979.

Parents’ Association President, P Stops cutting the 50th anniversary cake, 1979

1940s

1942

V S Murphy becomes Headmaster.

V S Murphy, c1941.

V S Murphy, c1941

1946

P Radford becomes Headmaster.

P Radford, 1946.

P Radford, 1946

1946

Centenary of The Hutchins School.

Bidencopes Hutchins Centenary display, Murray Street, 1946.

Bidencopes Hutchins Centenary display, Murray Street, 1946

1946

Sub-Primary School opens in Sandy Bay.

Sub-Primary School, c1965.

Sub-Primary School, c1965

1947

Chauncy Vale hut opens.

Read more about An Australian first.

Chauncy Vale hut opening, 1947.

Chauncy Vale hut opening, 1947

1950s

1954

W H Mason-Cox becomes Headmaster.

W H Mason-Cox, 1954.

W H Mason-Cox, 1954

1955

War Memorial Oval opened by Governor Sir Ronald Cross.

War Memorial Oval donation advertisement from the Pirates of Penzance program, 1954.

War Memorial Oval donation advertisement from the Pirates of Penzance program, 1954

1957

Junior School opens.

Read more about A growing focus.

Governor Sir Ronald Cross inspecting Cadets at the opening of the Junior School, 1957.

Governor Sir Ronald Cross inspecting Cadets at the opening of the Junior School, 1957

1958

H V Jones becomes Headmaster.

H V Jones, 1958.

H V Jones, 1958

1959

G H Newman becomes Headmaster.

G H Newman, 1959.

G H Newman, 1959

1960s

1960

Thorold House established.

(L–R) S Bennett (Vice-Captain of Thorold House), J Rogers (Captain of Thorold House) and A Thiessen (School Captain), 1960.

(L–R) S Bennett (Vice-Captain of Thorold House), J Rogers (Captain of Thorold House) and A Thiessen (School Captain), 1960

1963

Building of Senior School and boarding house on the Queenborough Cemetery site commences.

Boarding house site, 1963.

Boarding house site, 1963

1964

Boarding house opens in Sandy Bay.

Read more about A home away from home.

Boarding house opening by Sir Charles Gairdner, 1964 (The Mercury).

Boarding house opening by Sir Charles Gairdner, 1964 (The Mercury)

1969

South Oval (later Barrie Irons Oval) opens.

Junior cricket practice in the nets on the South Oval, 1977.

Junior cricket practice in the nets on the South Oval, 1977

1970s

1971

Rev Dr D B Clarke becomes Headmaster.

Induction of Rev Dr D B Clarke with Bishop Davies, 1971.

Induction of Rev Dr D B Clarke with Bishop Davies, 1971

1971

Chapel of St Thomas dedicated and consecrated by Bishop Davies.

Read more about An Anglican school for boys.

Chapel of St Thomas, 1971.

Chapel of St Thomas, 1971

1975

Eastern Shore Kindergarten opens at St Mark’s Church Hall, Bellerive due to Tasman Bridge closure and remains open until 1977.

Presentation from Mrs S Pyke of the Eastern Shore branch of the Parents’ Association to Bill Roche (owner of the ‘Cartela’) in 1977, following transportation of children across the river to school while the Tasman Bridge was down, 1975–77.

Presentation from Mrs S Pyke of the Eastern Shore branch of the Parents’ Association to Bill Roche (owner of the Cartela) in , following transportation of children across the river to school while the Tasman Bridge was down, .

1979

Outdoor Swimming Pool opens (later decommissioned).

Outdoor swimming pool under construction with ‘swimmers’, 1978.

Outdoor swimming pool under construction with ‘swimmers’, 1978

1980s

1982

W J Gerlach Memorial Tennis Courts open.

Hutchins Tennis Courts, 1982.

Hutchins Tennis Courts, 1982

1987

J M Bednall becomes Headmaster.

J M Bednall, 1993.

J M Bednall, 1993

1987

Early Learning Centre opens.

Read more about Early Learning.

Early Learning Centre, 1987.

Early Learning Centre, 1987

1987

Stephen Hay Memorial Park (Outdoor Education facility) opens at Southport.

Stephen Hay Memorial Park opening, 1987.

Stephen Hay Memorial Park opening, 1987

1990s

1997

W D Toppin becomes Headmaster.

W D Toppin, 1998.

W D Toppin, 1998

2000s

2005

Introduction of the first Dance Troupe (Year 8).

Read more about The creative arts.

Middle School and Senior School Dance Troupe, c2015.

Middle School and Senior School Dance Troupe, c2015

2007

W P Dean becomes Headmaster.

W P Dean, 2016.

W P Dean, 2016

2010s

2010

Power of 9 program established.

Read more about Learning outdoors.

Sean Oosthuizen aboard the ‘Windeward Bound’ on the Power of 9 Port Davey Challenge, 2013.

Sean Oosthuizen aboard the Windeward Bound on the Power of 9 Port Davey Challenge, 2013

2016

Sailing Academy opens.

Opening of the Sailing Academy, 2016.

Opening of the Sailing Academy, 2016

(L–R) Deputy Headmaster M A C Jones, Parents’ Association President M Killion-Richardson, Headmaster W P Dean (obscured) and N M Thomas, 2016

2017

Dr R W McEwan becomes Headmaster.

Dr R W McEwan, 2021.

Dr R W McEwan, 2021

2020s

2021

The Hutchins School celebrates 175 years (1846–2021).

Headmaster Dr Rob McEwan with Junior School boys, 2021.

Headmaster Dr Rob McEwan with Junior School boys, 2021

We believe that what you do matters.

We look forward to making more memories with our community over the coming years.

Note The appointment of D R Lawrence as Headmaster of the School in 1963, is not specifically mentioned in this timeline, however, we make no attempt to hide this aspect of the School’s history. The School acknowledges incidents of historical sexual abuse having occurred at our school. The Hutchins School Board apologises sincerely and wholeheartedly to any and all Hutchins Old Boys who have been sexually abused. Child sexual abuse is an abhorrent crime. For information regarding the National Redress Scheme, please visit https://www.hutchins.tas.edu.au/national-redress-scheme.